EHR configuration plays a critical part in deploying drive-thru clinics. This Pivot Point Perspective shares 6 strategies to accelerate EHR build outs for drive-thru clinics.
Key considerations when building out a drive-thru clinic:
1. BUILD OUT THE DRIVE-THRU CLINIC IN AN ACUTE OR OUTPATIENT MODEL.
Determine if it will be built as an extension of your Emergency Department or as an Outpatient Department. Each approach has benefits and can be tailored to fit your organization’s needs.
2. DETERMINE HOW YOU WILL SCHEDULE AND ARRIVE PATIENTS AT DRIVE-THRU CLINICS.
Consider if you will require scheduled visits or allow unscheduled drive-ups, and what the arrival or check-in process looks like. Reduce the number of required registration items to facilitate faster throughput. Use e-check in where possible.
3. ADD ADDITIONAL CLINICAL TOOLS TO ASSIST IN FASTER DOCUMENTATION.
Leverage available smart tools to improve efficiency in documenting and ordering. Ensure new order records align with how labs will result the tests. Have specific visit reasons for COVID-19 for tracking and follow up purposes.
4. USE DASHBOARDS AND REPORTS SPECIFIC TO COVID-19.
Build dashboards to track patients you have seen, tested or treated for COVID-19. Anticipate future reporting needs for entities like the CDC, State Department of Health or other federal programs.
5. TRACK ALL CHARGES ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR DRIVE-THRU CLINIC.
Ensure all COVID-19 diagnosis codes are available in your EHR. Consider holding all charges for visits in the drive-thru clinic for manual review. Determine what will be billed to a patient’s insurance or to an institutional account.
6. DECIDE WHAT HARDWARE WILL BE USED IN THE DRIVE-THRU CLINIC.
Determine how staff will access the EHR in the drive-thru clinic setting. Consider network coverage, workstations and specimen label printer needs and the logistics of their deployment.